Lemon Meringue Pie
1 cup (150 g) Rice Flour (YesYouCan available at Sue’s Gluten Free)
½ cup (75g) gluten-free Corn Flour (Nature First available at Sue’s Gluten Free)
½ cup (60g) Almond Meal (Nature First available at Sue’s Gluten Free)
1 teaspoon Xanthan Gum (Lotus available at Sue’s Gluten Free)
¼ cup (55g) caster sugar
160g chilled butter or substitute chopped
2-3 tablespoons iced water.
7 eggs, yolks separated from whites
5 or 6 tablespoons lemon juice.
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. To make the pastry, place the rice flour, cornflour, almond meal, xanthan gum and butter (or substitute) in the bowl of a food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. With the motor running, gradually add the iced water until the mixture just comes together. Turn onto a clean work surface and shape into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
3. Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out to a 3cm think disc. Line the base and sides of a 25cm tart pan and trim the edges. Refrigerate for a further 30 minutes.
4. Line the pastry with baking paper and fill with pastry weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the paper and weights and bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
5. For the filling, beat the egg yolks with a whisk in a heatproof bowl or the top of a double boiler, off the heat. Add 200g of the sugar and the lemon juice and beat again briefly. Place over a container of simmering water and cook, stirring continuously until the mixture is quite thick. (alternately, cook in 15 second bursts on low in the microwave, whisking in between) Remove from heat and cool.
6. Beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Using a spatula, fold about a third of the egg whites into the yolk and lemon mixture. Pour the filling into the cooled tart shell.
7. Gradually add the remaining sugar into the whites, beating continuously.
8. When the egg whites are glossy but not overly stiff, pile them on the lemon filling, covering it completely.
9. Place the pie back in the oven at the same temperature for about 10 minutes or until the meringue is very lightly browned.