Steamed Jam pudding is real old-fashioned comfort food at it’s best. Although traditionally, raspberry jam is generally used, any sort of jam works wonderfully, so just use whatever your family likes. I used some lemon marmalade that hadn’t set quite as well as I’d hoped in the pictured pudding.
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup jam
- 100g butter or substitute
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups minus 1 tablespoon Live Free Gluten Free Pastry Mix
- 1 1/4 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Grease a 6 cup capacity metal pudding steamer.
- Pour jam into the base of the prepared steamer.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each.
- Add combined flour mix and baking powder over the mixture and beat in.
- Add milk and beat until smooth.
- Spoon mixture over the jam in the steamer, smooth the top and secure the lid.
- Place pudding in a large saucepan; carefully pour boiling water into the pan until halfway up the side of the steamer.
- Cover pan, place over a medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 1 hour 45 minutes topping up with boiling water when necessary.
- Remove pan from the heat, carefully lift the steamer from the water and stand for 5 minutes before removing the lid.
- Turn pudding onto a plate and serve with Orgran Gluten Free Custard made as per the packet directions.