Last year I went to a Christian Women’s camp at the QCCC campsite up at Tamborine Mountain, and a delicious cake was served for morning tea one day. When I asked, the cook was good enough to let me have the recipe. I’ve changed the flours to make it gluten free and the topping to make it just a little different. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and our customers who tasted it over the weekend.
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup boiling water
- 125g butter or substitute
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cup Live Free Gluten Free Pastry Mix blend
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- a pinch of salt
- 3 tsp butter or substitute
- 4 tsp milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Kaya Breakfast Mix
- Cover the dates with the boiling water and leave to cool.
- Cream the butter and sugar and beat in the egg.
- Sift the flour with the bicarb, baking powder and salt and add to the creamed mix with the date mixture.
- Pour into a greased and lined lamington tin, and bake for 40 minutes at 185c
- Meanwhile mix all the topping ingredients together.
- After the 40 minutes baking time, carefully take the cake out of the oven and spoon the topping on top.
- Return quickly to the oven and bake for a further 30 to 35minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 10 minutes then cool on a wire rack.