My mother-in-law used to make the most delicious Hummingbird Cake, and shared the recipe with me many years ago. Margaret was an incredible cook, and in her time owned a cake shop, then Brisbane’s first cheesecake factory and then went on to cook in hotels and nursing homes in her later years, all the time cooking delicious treats for her family such as her Hummingbird Cake.
While Margaret’s original recipe used ordinary flour, and was made into the more traditional layer cake, I have adjusted the recipe somewhat to make it gluten free, and using one of the most versatile flour mixes I’ve ever used. An added bonus is that this slice is also dairy free.
The flour mix used in this recipe is produced by Live Free Gluten Free, and is actually their Pastry Mix. You may think that being a Pastry Mix the resulting bake would be quite dense and heavy, but you couldn’t be further from the truth. If you double this recipe you could easily make a very light and moist traditional layered Hummingbird Cake.
Her’s the Recipe
GLUTEN FREE HUMMINGBIRD SLICE
- 1 1/2 Cups Live Free Gluten Free Pastry Mix
- 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Bi-Carb Soda
- 1/2 Tsp either Cinnamon or Garam Marsala
- 2 small Eggs, beaten
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 125 g undrained Crushed Pineapple
- 1 Cup Chopped Banana
- Preheat oven to 180c
- Grease and/or line a Lamington Tray with baking Paper
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add eggs and oil and mix well until all the dry ingredients are moistened. DO NOT BEAT
- Stir in the vanilla, crushed pineapple and bananas.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 25 – 30 minutes, or until ‘done’ when tested.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Cool completely before topping with frosting.
- 100g Soft Cream Cheese (or Mascapone)
- 250g Ceres Organics Icing Sugar
- A little Vanilla
- Beat the cheese to soften
- Gradually add the icing sugar, beating well before adding more.
- Add vanilla to taste, adding more icing sugar if required.
This Hummingbird Slice is delicious topped with either sliced mango or passionfruit.