Do you just love Orange and Almond Cake, but find the amount of almond meal required takes it out of the range of your budget? Well, this Citrus Polenta Cake could be the economical alternative you’re looking for.
- 2 Oranges
- 180g castor sugar
- 250g Ceres Organics Quick Cooking Polenta
- 4 – 6 eggs (depending on size)
- 1 teaspoon Lotus baking powder
- 2/3 cup of citrus fruit juice (lemon, orange, grapefruit, lime or a combination of all)
- 2/3 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- Microwave the unpeeled oranges for 10 minutes on high, or boil for one hour until tender. Strain, cool, and remove pips. Do not peel the oranges.
- Line a 20cm spring form pan with baking paper. Preheat oven to 180c (or 150c Fan Forced).
- Using a food processor, blend unpeeled oranges and sugar. Add eggs, polenta and baking powder. Blend well.
- Pour into the lined pan and bake for 1 hour or until cooked.Test with a skewer. Do not overcook; the cake should be moist. Allow to cool in tin before removing.
- Combine all the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Allow to cook for 5 minutes until reduced.
- Prick holes in the top of the cake and drizzle the syrup over.
- I topped mine with home slices of lemon and rind cooked in a sugar syrup until tender and translucent.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.