Last night I was watching a Jamie Oliver healthy eating program on TV, and he made something very much like this, but with whole wheat flour. It looked so delicious that this morning I got up early, went to Sue’s Gluten Free and got some Buckwheat flour, then the local supermarket for some cottage cheese. The rest of the ingredients were already in my pantry and fridge. I hope you enjoy these Buckwheat Popovers as much as we did this morning. You could even make up the mixture in the evening ready to just cook in the morning; maybe top them off with a lovely poached egg.
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 heaped tablespoons Nature First Buckwheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Orgran Gluten Free Gluten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (we stock both Nature First and Lotus brands)
- 3 tablespoons cottage cheese
- 2 rashers lean gluten free bacon finely chopped
- 2 medium button mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 small tomato finely chopped
- Finely chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- Break egg into a bowl, mix enough to break up, then add all the dry ingredients and combine.
- Add the cottage cheese, salt and pepper and some of the chives and mix thoroughly Set aside
- Cook the chopped bacon and mushroom in a frypan until the bacon is brown and mushroom pieces are cooked.
- Add the bacon, mushrooms and tomato to the batter and mix well.
- Heat a large frying pan and spray with olive oil.
- Place spoonfuls of the mixture in the frying pan and cook over a moderately high heat until they are brown on the bottom and little air bubbles appear around the sides. This should take about 5 minutes. Do not crowd the pan or you may have difficulty turning the Popovers over
- Turn the Popovers over and reduce the heat.
- Cook a further 5 to 6 minutes.
- Garnish with chives.
- These are delicious served under a poached egg.